Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bird of Paradise

I had just about given up on them ever sprouting but this week I noticed what I thought was a blade of grass popping up in a starter tray that I had just about abandoned. I didn't remember planting grass but I figured that it had come in some time when I had gone outside and planted itself like the rest of the weeds.
Yesterday I decided to look up what I had planted there since it wasn't growing like I thought grass should. Come to find out it was a bird of paradise seed and the green blade is actually a rolled up leaf coming up for the first time. The seed was probably over three years old since I got it in Hawaii nearly three years ago. Who knows how long it was on the shelf.

Now all I have to do is wait until it has a couple leaves and transplant it into a decent size pot. The biggest problem is keeping it away from the cats long enough for it to live.

3 comments:

  1. Those are one of my favorite flowers! Hope it blooms for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so too but it will take years until it does. From seed it usually takes five years or so. If I had a plant that had split it would only take a couple years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you persevere though, its always good when seeds germinate by surprise...

    ReplyDelete