Thursday, October 13, 2011

Basil

Our basil is growing really well. They're the healtiest plants in the side bed, even more than the weeds. So far I can count five plants. Although I wish I had more, this should be plenty to make a small batch of pesto for the winter and coming year. Unfortunately they're already wanting to flower. I really can't blame them since it is getting cooler at night but I have to be attentive to plucking off the flowers or it'll all be gone before I know it.
This summer we had to resort to store bought pesto. I can't say it was bad but I'd rather not spend the money if I can help it.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh I love basil. I am growing it in my greenhouse, so it'll be interesting to see how long I can keep it going. I have also cut a couple sprigs to put in a cup of water in the kitchen. I read in a blog that it'll root and you don't really have to put it in dirt. The upside-my many cats don't seem to like it. Yayy.

    ReplyDelete