Thursday, August 30, 2012

Saffron

We went to the plant nursery yesterday to get some onion chives.  We have green onions and garlic chives already and decided to get the onion chives to round out the set.  At check out I noticed the little box of saffron bulbs and decided I would finally grow some of them.  They are hardy from zones 6-10 making my zone 8 just perfect, although summers will still probably need extra watering.

We've used saffron in many recipes including bread and couscous.  For the bread recipe we steeped the saffron threads in the water before adding it to the recipe giving it a nice yellow coloring.

Although it will be a while before we can use anything from the bulbs, the wonderful purple flowers will be a nice addition to the front landscape.

2 comments:

  1. That's the first time I've seen saffron bulbs. I wish it would grow here but I guess my tropical zone is a bit too much for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen it in catalogs before and seriously thought about getting some. Between the voles and the squirrels, I'd probably have to grow them indoors, though (since I don't want saffron that has been sprayed with pepper spray deterrent)! I use a fair amount of saffron in some Indian dishes, so it would be a great thing to have!

    ReplyDelete