Monday, January 24, 2022

Reporting Claude (the cacao tree)

Finally got Claude in a clay pot.  I've noticed for some time now that all of the cacao trees in clay pots do significantly better than those in plastic.  I also got a plastic trash can dolly to go under it so I can move it around a bit more.

I had been a little scared to water him too much since he was sitting on the floor and I wasn't able to tell if there was too much water until it started to spill out from the bottom and I really don't want to mess up the floor.  Now though I can simply roll it to the side and check.  Of course I drilled holes in the base of the dolly so it wouldn't hold water in it.  There is a divot in the middle of it.

After this I added water and no drips!  So I added more water and still no drips. And added water. And added water. And so on.  I think he was well under watered which would explain the slow growth compared to earlier.

I now have high hopes for him to start taking off again and look forward to many more leaves and hopefully height.  There were decent roots in the soil when I transplanted him so I don't think there will be a problem.  I've even already seen a new little leaf trying to form.  I'll check every day for a while to make sure he's happy in his new pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment