Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Fermenting Cacao Day 5

The cacao is now bubbling and the pulp is breaking down.  It's at this point where I need to make sure it doesn't get too cold so the fermenting can continue.  To accomplish this I frequently pick it up and hold it for a while so the temperature can be higher than our apartment air conditioner says it should be.  There's not enough mass for it to hold any heat.  It's already getting an alcohol smell to it when I open the bag. 

My wife is already asking if I plan to strain the liquid and see if it's drinkable.  The answer is maybe.

We tried cacao juice at one of the Dallas Chocolate Festivals once but that is not the same thing.  That was merely juiced cacao pulp.  The fermented juice is alcohol and is still something cacao growers use as a drink in some areas.  I mean, why not if you have the byproduct already sitting there.  Why throw it out?


No comments:

Post a Comment