These were hand harvested from some St Augustine plugs that decided to make some seeds. These are from one stalk and it was a stalk I had previously mowed down and this was what remained of it.
I got about a square foot of turf from a reliable and healthy lawn and transplanted it in various places in my back yard. I split it up into 6 pieces and plugged them in. My hope is that it will spread as St Augustine does and take over the yard. This may take a while since it seems to spread about 4-8 inches a year with the occasional long runner which can go over a foot. It's these runners that I hope will start proliferating the yard and set up new areas of St Augustine. After a while I also plan to pull plugs and spread manually. Within 5 years I hope to have a full yard. We'll see about the front eventually.
For now I have planted these in some dirt inside to see if they will sprout. I'm curious how viable the seeds really are. There is definitely some promise here though as most of these are full plump seeds.
If you've ever had success with St Augustine seeds please let me know. I'd love to see how it turned out.
Sent from my iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment