Friday, April 5, 2024

The Great American Solar Eclipse 2024

This is a picture of the partial solar eclipse back in 2017.  At that time the total eclipse was a band more northerly than we are here in the Dallas area.  We still got this much coverage though.  This was taken about the height of the eclipse in Richardson, Texas.  We had a grill out and ate burgers, cupcakes and swam in the pool.

This coming Monday we will get to experience a total eclipse, probably for a little less than two minutes where we'll be in McKinney having another cookout with friends.

I've always liked viewing all stages of eclipse.  Back a few years even earlier than this I stayed up to view the lunar eclipse.  It was a clear night with no cloud cover and the moon was nearly overhead making the viewing awesome!  My wife didn't want to bother with it and said to wake her up when it was at its peak.  She was less impressed but though it was interesting.

My first eclipse I can remember I was probably 4 or 5 years old in my grandmother's backyard.  She told me how rare it is to be living in the path of a total eclipse and that most people have to travel to ever see one.  So we're fortunate for this one to be passing over so many people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment