Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mushrooms

When I think of mushrooms I usually think of a pizza topping.  For the longest time I didn't realize I had been eating them in my chinese food for years, they just didn't look like pizza toppings.
My yard doesn't usually get mushrooms popping up but my yard is usually really dry and mushrooms like a good bit of moisture to grow.  By the time it rains here it's also gotten colder.  If it gets too cold mushrooms don't like that either.  In southeast Texas in the piney woods area the moisture is much better mushroom growing.  the rains are more frequent and the temperatures usually milder.  Of course there are those people who water their yards so much that it seems like a nice long rain has occurred. In that case you can spot the occasional mushroom sprouting up here and there right in the middle of an otherwise well kept yard.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I liked your post. You wrote:"When I think of mushrooms I usually think of a pizza topping." May be. I always knew mushrooms grow in the nearist forest. My husband picked them up a lot last fall. It's very interesting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mushrooms! We have wild ones growing all over our yard but we don't dare eat them because they aren't the edible type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    Just wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. I've enjoyed reading your blog ever since joining blotanical.

    ReplyDelete