Monday, May 6, 2024

Backyard Cooking

This is one of the better frames from the video I was able to capture. It looks bigger here than its usual flame height but this also give a better view of what it looks like.

We picked this up at Kohl's while standing in line to buy towels for the guest bathroom.  It's the perfect size to roast marshmallows.  The marshmallows we cooked were very small though but that's just because that was what we had on hand at the time.  We plan to cook bigger stuff in the near future but I'm sure it's up to it.  It runs off of rubbing alcohol from 70-90 percent.  You know I'm going to put some 99 in there though and see how well it can burn.

I did a temperature test not too long ago where I tested different strengths of alcohol to see what the temperature difference would be.  They're not too different but they do go up.

This burner also has a wick though which helps the alcohol have more surface area to create the fumes needed to burn.  It's the gas not the liquid that actually does the burning.  Once it mixes in the air with oxygen it can combust.

Since I mentioned it I figure I should just go ahead and post the test results here from the burn test.


Performed a quick test since I really wanted to know the answer to this question as well.
Burned about 2 Tablespoons of different percentages of isopropyl alcohol in a copper censer and used a K2 pyrometer model DP-902F to measure the temperature.

The results:

70% alcohol observed a maximum temperature of 1210°F

91% alcohol observed a maximum temperature of 1300°F

99% alcohol observed a maximum temperature of 1430°F

No comments:

Post a Comment