Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Garden Pearls

Have you ever gone out into your backyard and looked down to find a pearl? A shiny irridescent, not so perfect, gem just sitting there waiting for you to pick it up and.... eat it?

Ok so we don't eat pearls but that's just what our local texas onion looks like. We piked up a bunch of the flower/bulb stalks and dried them a little while. They started falling to the floor so I figured it was about time to pull them all off. I got about a half cup of tiny gems and they have the most wonderful flavor. It took about a half an hour to get but it will last outside the refridgerator for months and when I want to use it in a soup or other dish all I have to do is rinse them and toss them in.
Anything I don't use I can plant in the ground for more onions and little pearls. Each onion will produce from 10 -30 little pearls at a time. If we had harvested our entire backyard we would have had cups of onion. and probably thousands of little bulbs.


No comments:

Post a Comment