Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Japanese Maple

I got back to work yesterday to find a small pile of seeds sitting on my desk. I'm well known for trying to plant just about anything and one of my coworkers decided to see if I could get them to sprout.
At first I thought they were black pine seeds since they had the wings on them but upon asking if that was what they were, I really hoped they were, he told me they were Japanese Maple seeds.
I looked up exactly what they looked like and expected to see some sort of pod that would release them but instead found that the seeds grow in pairs on the end of twigs. He confirmed this and said that all he did was reach up and pluck a few from the tree that grew between his house and his neighbor's house.
I have yet to plant them but I'm sure I have quite a while before I have to worry about them loosing viability.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a difficult project but then I am very talented in the garden. I hope you get them to sprout because Japanese Maples are very expensive around here and I want one. If this works for you, I might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete