Sunday, October 10, 2010

Backyard Cantaloupes

As I was mowing, about a week ago, I decided to just mow off some of the cantaloupe vine that had been growing out of the box, over the tile and out into the lawn. What I didn't realize was that it had already started making melons. It's the kind of thing you hope will happen but usually doesn't pan out as quickly as that. The first thing I knew about the matter was a loud thud as the blades hit a softball size melon and it rolls along the ground spilling newly forming seeds as it goes.
I have since left the escapees to their own devices.


Fortunately they have started forming in the bed and not so much outside. There is also a bitter melon plant in the corner, the only one to survive. It's flowers are much larger and I don't think it has made a melon yet.

The smaller melons still look mostly green and there's plenty of flowers for more to start forming. I scattered some pepper seeds in today to hopefully give a litle more sun cover and keep some more of the moisture in. They like lots of water.

The larger ones are starting to get some stripes but still no netting yet. Give them a few weeks and they should be netted and ready for picking. They probably won't get as big as the ones in the store but they're sweeter.

3 comments:

  1. Your cantelopes have more chances to ripen than my pumpkins. This is the first year when we won't have our own pumpkins for Halloween. This summer was very late!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cantalopes. Mine didn't do so great this year, but did taste super sweet. I had tons of flowers, but no fruit. Do I need more bees to pollinate? Cantalope is so easy to grow though. Lovely pictures.

    Jeff
    The Garden Cloche | Plant Covers For The Winter

    ReplyDelete