Monday, May 24, 2021

Fairy Ring Mushroom

To start, I am not an expert on mushrooms.  That being said I'm 99% sure that this is a fairy ring mushroom.  I did not however eat it since there is still that 1% chance I'm horribly wrong and would die.  Not good enough odds.  In addition to these pictures it had the most wonderful mushroom smell.  When I think of a delicious mushroom, that was the smell I got.  But again, 1%....

If you have any skill at identifying mushrooms I would love to have a second, third, and even fourth or more opinion on the variety of mushroom this is.  In the off chance I can get a positive identification, I placed the mushroom on one of the pots outside on top of mulchy dirt in hopes that it would propagate.  I keep the area plenty watered and who knows I might get a delicious meal out of this.

I found this and several others of the same type while hiking in the woods in south east Oklahoma.  The trees that were around were pecan, cedar, oak, and a spattering of others.  Trees I can identify more or less, mushrooms not so much.

The pictures are several hours after picking and are only slightly darker than they were when picked.  Some of the others had a slightly flatter look and the edges started to become wavy.

At this point in the garden they have shriveled and turned brown.  I don't know if any spores were released or if anything will happen but if anything does happen I will revisit the variety at that time.

In the mean time, please comment and let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment