Friday, May 21, 2021

Female Dimorphic Jumping Spider

This little cutie was spotted in the corner of my patio hanging out waiting for a meal and allowed me a moment to take this picture.  

Fortunately for everyone she isn't that big.  This is way zoomed in.  It took a while for me to identify this spider since it wasn't listed as even being this far west but you know how animals are, they don't know where they are, just if they like being there.  Since I put in the small patio garden there are plenty of things for her to eat.

I started out looking for a list of Texas spiders and it was actually very limiting since most of them were larger spiders or the ones you might worry about if you got bitten.  Then I looked for colors like red and brown.  This too was limiting and not a lot of help.  Then I remembered she jumped to a railing piece from the corner so obviously a jumping spider.  I looked at an images of jumping spiders and way down I saw one just like her.  I say her because the males are entirely black and about half the size.  

As with most jumping spiders she isn't a danger to people.  For starters they would rather run away from you.  For those on the more worried side their venom isn't enough to do much to a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment