Friday, September 25, 2009

Garden Snake

While doing a little work, like that's uncommon or something, I ran across this little guy snuggled under some bark. I have run across over a dozen of these over the seasons. They seem to be getting bigger each time I find one.
I believe that is a good sign because where there's snakes there's bugs and critters and such and they wouldn't be there if it wasn't a pleasant place to hang out. The probably feed mostly on rolly pollies. For every snake I've found I've found hundreds of rolly pollies.


Don't mind the mess. One day this will be a greenhouse with actual plants everywhere instead of wood and stuff. Oooh look! You can see some small pots on the bottom left by the light! It's proof...

6 comments:

  1. oh my God how do you do that???
    I am happy to see the pots in the background. do post when things get done with these pots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful! I don't think I've seen a snake as small as that. And I do agree it's a good sign to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind to have a few of them in my garden as long as they stay small! I used to jump higher than my head when saw them, but then, my boys started to study them at school. We've read dozens of books on snakes, and now,I jump only a bit. You are holding a realy small one. Thin. You need to have more creatures in your garden to feed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very scared of snakes. Are you sure this one is not poisonous?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to see that greenhouse finished and filled soon -- cooler weather is coming. I've not had a snake in the greenhouse, but tiny peeper frogs and anoles enjoy their winter hideout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your snake is likely either a worm or ground snake. Good news is they eat slugs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete