Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hanging Out

Bugs aren't my usual thing but while I was at work today a coworker pointed out a very large bug hanging outside her window. It looked like a large grasshopper with a leaf attached to it's back.
I didn't know what it was but was pretty sure it was in the same family of bugs.
Fortunately we have a bug book in the survey department in case the surveyors come across any really nasty ones, mostly stinging types, and there it was six pages into the sub catagory where the grasshoppers were, the broad winged katydid.

"You can't see me. I'm hiding on the side of this smooth tree."

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful bug. It certainly looks like a pale green leaf. I wonder what it is doing hanging precariously there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that's some bug. It looks enormous in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We get katydids here and I love watching them. They blend in so well with the garden. They look just like a leaf.

    ReplyDelete